W-2 Information

A W-2 form reports an employee's annual taxable wages and the amount of taxes withheld from their paychecks. The W-2 is used by the employee to file an income tax return after each calendar year.

The State of Kansas issues W-2s by mail or through an online portal. 

Access Your W-2:

This information is for The State of Kansas/University of Kansas employees only.  If you work for KU Athletics, KU Memorial Unions, KU Med Center, or other organizations, please contact them.

Access Your W-2

  1. Go to the State of Kansas Employee Self-Service website.
  2. Enter your State of Kansas Employee ID
    • Your SOKS ID is an 11-digit number beginning with a capital letter found at the top of your pay stub (e.g., J0001234567).  Access your paystub.
  3. Enter your password.
    • If you are a first-time user, you will need to contact the Payroll Office by email or phone to get your temporary password.
    • If you are a returning user and do not remember your password, use the Forgot Your Password link under the sign in button.
      • This will ask a security question and give you a temporary password. 
      • It will then say your password is expired and prompt you to change it.
      • Note: If you have not set up security questions in your profile, this option will not work.
    • If the above options do not allow access, please call the State of Kansas Help Desk to have your password reset at 785-296-1900 or toll-free at 866-999-3001. Help Desk hours are from 8:00 am to 4:30 pm, Monday – Friday.
      • KU is not able to reset your password.
  4. Click on the My System Profile box.
    • Set up a primary email account.
      • This does not have to be a KU email.
    • Click on Maintain Secret Question & Answer for "Forgot Password" to set up security questions.
      • Select a question from the dropdown menu.
      • Enter a response and click OK.
      • It will take you back to the General Profile Information page.
      • Click Save.
  5. Navigate back to the home page by clicking the home/house symbol at the top of the page.
  6. Click on the W-2 Consent, Reissue, Forms box.
  7. Your consent status will show at the top of the page.
    • If it shows you currently receive W-2 forms electronically, you may skip step this step.  You do not have to give consent again.
    • Click the check box to give consent and click submit.
    • This is also where you withdraw the consent if you choose.
  8. Select the "View W-2/W-2C Forms" in the menu on the left side of the screen.
  9. Select the "View Form" button under the Year End Form column to see the current year's form as a PDF
    • Select past years from the drop-down menu at the top.
    • Note: If your browser is set to block pop-ups, you should see an alert at the top to ask if you wish to allow the pop-up. Click allow.

Contact the Payroll Office at payroll@ku.edu for further assistance.

Helpful Hints:

  • Use Mozilla Firefox or Microsoft Edge.
  • Use a laptop or desktop computer rather than a mobile device.
  • Make sure your pop-up blocker is off or allows the website to show a pop-up window.
  • If you updated your profile: Log off, close your browser, and then log back in.


Your W-2 will be mailed to the most current active mailing address on file with Human Resources at the time The State of Kansas pulls address information (typically November or December). If a mailing address is not on file, it will be sent to the most current active home address on file. 

Update your address online through your HR Pay account.

NOTE: If you had previously given consent to receive your W-2 online, it will not be mailed to you unless you withdraw consent.

Requesting a Duplicate Copy

If you did not receive your W-2 and prefer not to access it online, you can submit a request via email to the Payroll Office at payroll@ku.edu

The following information is required in your email request:

  • Full Legal Name
  • Address (your W-2 will be mailed here)
  • Last 4 digits of your social security number
  • Year(s) of W-2 you are requesting

Your W-2 will be mailed within two weeks.  If you need your W-2 quicker, please access it online.

Employees who have retired or separated from state service continue to have access to receive their W-2 forms online for 18 months following separation, via the State of Kansas Employee Self-Service portal.  See the online W-2 instructions above.

However, each retired or separated employee must sign back into Employee Self-Service and consent to receive their W-2 electronically. If this consent is not resubmitted, a paper W-2 will be generated and mailed to the former employee at the address on file with Human Resources.

For assistance with your 1095-C form, please contact Staff Benefits at 785-864-7402 or by email at benefits@ku.edu.

Understanding Your W-2

A W-2 form reports an employee's annual taxable wages and the amount of taxes withheld from their paychecks. The W-2 is used by the employee to file an income tax return after each calendar year. The links below provide information regarding how each box is calculated on the W-2.

See the 2023 W-2 Wage and Tax Statement Calculations for information specific to State of Kansas Employees.

The IRS provides further information and instructions for the W-2 on its website.


FFCRA Box 14

Employees who utilized leave under the Families First Coronavirus Response Act (FFCRA) in the calendar year 2020 will see FFCRA wages reported in Box 14 of the W-2 for informational purposes and may have a multi-page W-2 due to this new IRS reporting requirement.