Federal W-4 Form
The purpose of the W-4 form is so the University of Kansas can withhold the correct federal income tax from your pay. If too little tax is withheld, you will generally owe tax when you file your tax return. If too much tax is withheld, you will generally be due a refund.
NOTE: Payroll staff cannot offer advice on how to fill out the W-4. You will need to speak with a tax advisor.
Student employees can receive assistance from KU Legal Services.
All employees are encouraged to perform a "paycheck checkup" to review the accuracy of their current income tax withholding. To conduct the checkup, the IRS provides a Tax Withholding Estimator tool. To effectively use the estimator, it is helpful to have a copy of your most recent paystub and tax return.
Update Your W-4 Status
- Log in to your HR Pay portal.
- Click the KU Payroll Dashboard button.
- Click the W4 Tax Withholding Classic button.
- Update your status as needed.
- You can click the View Instructions link under each step box for additional information.
- Click the Submit button.
- You will receive an email confirmation of your update.
Before completing a W-4 form, please carefully read the instructions that are included with the form and complete the steps as follows:
- Step 1 is for employee personal information – Required to be completed
- Step 2 is for households with multiple jobs – Optional; Completion will ensure more accurate withholding
- Step 3 is used to claim dependent tax credits – Optional; Completion will ensure more accurate withholding
- Step 4 is for other adjustments – Optional; Completion will ensure more accurate withholding
- Step 5 is the employee signature – Required to be completed