State Tax for Missouri Residents
Missouri has made a change to their tax guide, which effects employees who are residing in Missouri and working in other states. These employees should submit a MO W-4C to the Payroll Office regarding their employment with KU only. The MO W-4C helps our office determine how to set up your state income tax correctly. The tax situations which this form will suffice for are as follows:
- Employees working 100% in the state of Kansas:
- Fill out number 1 in the box listing Kansas as the state you are performing 100% of your services
- Employees working 100% in the state of Missouri:
- Employees working a percentage in Missouri and a percentage in Kansas:
- Employees working a percentage in Missouri and a percentage in another state:
- Employees who live in Kansas City and wish to have the 1% earnings tax withheld from their pay should fill out the Payroll Authorization for Kansas City Missouri Earnings Tax form.
*Failure to submit a MO W-4C may result in taxes being withheld from both Kansas and Missouri. If a MO W-4, K-4, or other state withholding certificate is not received, we will set up the tax at the default rate of single with 0 allowances.
If your tax situation does not fit one of the above, please contact the Payroll Office for further assistance.