Common reasons pay is delayed:

  1. Time worked or leave time was not entered on the timesheet.
  2. Time was not approved by the supervisor on the timesheet.
  3. Direct deposit was not updated in a timely manner to be in effect for the next paycheck.
  4. Your appointment was not entered into the Human Resources system.
  5. We have not processed paychecks for the first pay period you began work.
View the pay calendar to determine the date of your paycheck with the corresponding pay period.

Contact the Payroll Office if you did not receive  your paycheck.

The 2020 W-4 reflects changes resulting from the implementation of the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act of 2018.  The new form uses the employee's income tax filing status, dependents, and other adjustments to determine the federal withholding liability.


FICA (Social Security and Medicare)

1. You worked more than 30 hours in one or both weeks of the pay period.

  • This is a combined total of all positions.
  • The hours worked in each week do not effect a week working over 30 hours. 
  • Example:  You worked 35 hours in week 1 and 20 hours in week 2.  You will be charged FICA since you worked over 30 hours in one of the weeks.

2. You were not enrolled in the minimum number of credit hours for FICA exemption.

  • Typically this is half-time enrollment.
  • The maximum hours rule still applies over breaks.


You can find more information on the Student Exception to FICA Tax on the IRS website.


Withholding Tax

Every employee is subject to withholding tax based on the W-4 (federal) and K-4 (state) forms you submitted.  These can be updated at any time.

There are multiple situations that can cause your benefits to be double deducted from your paycheck. Please contact the Staff Benefits office at 785-864-7402 to confirm your situation.

The KU Medical Center (KUMC) has multiple employers within the center.


KUMC State of Kansas / University employees can call 913-588-5100 or email

Health System / Hospital employees can call 913-945-5388 or email

KUPI employees can call 913-588-2613.

If you are not sure who to contact, you can call the general KUMC number at 913-588-5000.

The State of Kansas has partnered with US Bank to offer a payroll paycard service for employees who do not have a bank account.  Paychecks are automatically deposited to the paycard, which is used as a debit card.  For more information on obtaining this paycard please contact Human Resources Appointment Staff at 785-864-5994.

Immediately contact the bank where your funds are being deposited to see what options are available to you and update your direct deposit.

Employees who participate in the Voluntary Separation Incentive Program (VSIP) can email payroll to request an estimation of taxes from their payouts.

An employee's direct deposit remains in effect as long as the employee holds an active position.  A direct deposit account is inactivated in the Payroll system after 6 months of leaving employment.


Federal Withholdings

1. Log into your HR Pay account and navigate through the main menu to W-4 Tax Information where you can update.


2.  Complete a W-4 form and submit to the Payroll Office.

*You only need to complete one of the above to update your federal withholdings.


State Withholding

1. Complete a K-4 form and submit it to the Payroll Office.

There is not online access to update state withholdings at this time.



You can update your direct deposit online or by filling out a new direct deposit form.  See the Direct Deposit page for further instructions.

Please note:  It is dependent upon the payroll cycle if your next paycheck will be deposited to the updated account.  It is recommended to keep access to a previous account until you know if your next check will deposit to your new account.  You may contact the Payroll Office by email, phone, or in person to confirm.

The University of Kansas uses The Work Number to provide automated verifications.  View instructions on using The Work Number.

Typically you can view your pay stub on the Monday before a pay date.  Log into your HR Pay account and follow the pathway to View Paycheck

Log into your HR Pay account and follow the navigation to Home and Mailing Address to update.

The State of Kansas uses your home address on file with Human Resources for mailings, such as W-2s or paychecks so please ensure it is kept current.

If you are unable to update your address through HR Pay, please contact the Human Resources Appointment Staff at 785-864-5994.

*Changing your address in Enroll & Pay does not change your address with Human Resources. 

All employees hired or rehired with an effective date of Jan 1, 2020 or later are required to complete a 2020 W-4.

At this time, active employees are not required to complete a 2020 W-4 unless they sign a new offer letter or wish to change their withholding status.  If current employees choose not to complete a new W-4 form, federal income tax withholding in 2020 will continue to be based on the most recent W-4 form submitted.


You can change your tax withholdings for one paycheck.  You will need to submit a W-4 and/or K-4 with the paycheck date for the new tax withholding status and another set of forms with the paycheck date to change your tax withholding status back.  It is best to contact our office to ensure your forms are submitted in time for the paycheck calculation.


Academic Faculty use of Direct Deposit form to Distribute Pay:

Academic year faculty have the option of establishing direct deposit to multiple accounts as a tool to help allocate salary for the months in which they aren’t paid.  This is the responsibility of each individual employee to analyze their individual budget and determine what direct deposit allocation works best for them.  An example of this would be 25% into a savings account for the summer, and 75% into a checking account for current spending.  The payroll office can answer questions related to completing direct deposit, but we do not offer financial advising.  Employees may work with their banking institution and financial advisors for individual unique circumstances.

Contact Us

KU Payroll Services
Carruth O’Leary Hall
1246 West Campus Rd, Room 145
Lawrence, KS 66045

Office Hours:

In-Person: By Appointment Only

By Phone: 8:00am – 4:30pm

Phone support
Who to Contact


Contact HR/Pay at (785) 864-0600
or by email at

Leave Time

Contact HR/Pay at (785) 864-0600
or by email at

Personal Info

Contact HR Appointment Staff at (785) 864-5994
or by email at

Salary / Pay Rate

Contact HR Appointment Staff at (785) 864-5994
or by email at

Health Insurance Deductions

Contact Staff Benefits at (785) 864-4946
or by email at

Retirement Deductions

Contact Staff Benefits at (785) 864-4946
or by email at
One of 34 U.S. public institutions in the prestigious Association of American Universities
44 nationally ranked graduate programs.
—U.S. News & World Report
Top 50 nationwide for size of library collection.
5th nationwide for service to veterans —"Best for Vets: Colleges," Military Times
KU Today