State Tax for Missouri Residents
Missouri has made a change to their tax guide, which effects employees who are residing in Missouri and working in other states. These employees should submit a MO W-4C to the Payroll Office regarding their employment with KU only. The MO W-4C helps our office determine how to set up your state income tax correctly. The tax situations which this form will suffice for are as follows:
- Employees working 100% in the state of Kansas:
- Fill out number 1 in the box listing Kansas as the state you are performing 100% of your services
- Employees working 100% in the state of Missouri:
- Employees working a percentage in Missouri and a percentage in Kansas:
- Employees working a percentage in Missouri and a percentage in another state:
- Employees who live in Kansas City and wish to have the 1% earnings tax withheld from their pay should fill out the Payroll Authorization for Kansas City Missouri Earnings Tax form.
*Failure to submit a MO W-4C may result in taxes being withheld from both Kansas and Missouri. If a MO W-4, K-4, or other state withholding certificate is not received, we will set up the tax at the default rate of single with 0 allowances.
If your tax situation does not fit one of the above, please contact the Payroll Office for further assistance.
More information regarding the new form can be found on page 4, section 4B of the State of Missouri Employer's Tax Guide.