• Home
  • Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Can I change my tax withholdings for one paycheck?

You can change your tax withholdings for one paycheck.  You will need to submit a W-4 and/or K-4 with the paycheck date for the new tax withholding status and another set of forms with the paycheck date to change your tax withholding status back.  It is best to contact our office to ensure your forms are submitted in time for the paycheck calculation.

How do I change my address?

Log into your HR Pay account and follow the navigation to Home and Mailing Address to update.


If you are unable to update your address through HR Pay, please contact the Human Resources Appointment Staff at 785-864-5994.

*Changing your address in Enroll & Pay does not change your address with Human Resources. 

How do I get my pay stub?

Typically you can view your pay stub on the Monday before a pay date.  Log into your HR Pay account and follow the pathway to View Paycheck

How do I update my direct deposit?

You can update your direct deposit online or by filling out a new direct deposit form.  See the Direct Deposit page for further instructions.

Please note:  It is dependent upon the payroll cycle if your next paycheck will be deposited to the updated account.  It is recommended to keep access to a previous account until you know if your next check will deposit to your new account.  You may contact the Payroll Office by email, phone, or in person to confirm.

How do I update my withholding tax status?

Federal Withholdings

1. Log into your HR Pay account and navigate through the main menu to W-4 Tax Information where you can update.


2.  Complete a W-4 form and submit to the Payroll Office.

*You only need to complete one of the above to update your federal withholdings.


State Withholding

1. Complete a K-4 form and submit it to the Payroll Office.

There is not online access to update state withholdings at this time.



How long will my direct deposit stay in effect?

An employee's direct deposit remains in effect as long as the employee holds an active position.  A direct deposit account is inactivated in the Payroll system after 6 months of leaving employment.


What if I don't have a bank account?

The State of Kansas has partnered with US Bank to offer a payroll paycard service for employees who do not have a bank account.  Paychecks are automatically deposited to the paycard, which is used as a debit card.  For more information on obtaining this paycard please contact Human Resources Appointment Staff at 785-864-5994.

Why did my student paycheck have taxes withheld?

FICA (Social Security and Medicare)

1. You worked more than 30 hours in one or both weeks of the pay period.

  • This is a combined total of all positions.
  • The hours worked in each week do not effect a week working over 30 hours. 
  • Example:  You worked 35 hours in week 1 and 20 hours in week 2.  You will be charged FICA since you worked over 30 hours in one of the weeks.

2. You were not enrolled in the minimum number of credit hours for FICA exemption.

  • Typically this is half-time enrollment.
  • The maximum hours rule still applies over breaks.


You can find more information on the Student Exception to FICA Tax on the IRS website.


Withholding Tax

Every employee is subject to withholding tax based on the W-4 (federal) and K-4 (state) forms you submitted.  These can be updated at any time.

Why didn't I get paid?

Common reasons pay is delayed:

  1. Time worked or leave time was not entered on the timesheet.
  2. Time was not approved by the supervisor on the timesheet.
  3. Direct deposit was not updated in a timely manner to be in effect for the next paycheck.
  4. Your appointment was not entered into the Human Resources system.
  5. We have not processed paychecks for the first pay period you began work.
View the pay calendar to determine the date of your paycheck with the corresponding pay period.

Contact the Payroll Office if you did not receive  your paycheck.

Contact Us

KU Payroll Services
Carruth O’Leary
1246 W Campus Rd, Room 145
Lawrence, KS 66045

Phone support
Who to Contact


Contact HR/Pay at (785) 864-0600
or by email at hrpay@ku.edu.

Leave Time

Contact HR/Pay at (785) 864-0600
or by email at hrpay@ku.edu.

Personal Info

Contact HR Appointment Staff at (785) 864-5994
or by email at hrappt@ku.edu.

Salary / Pay Rate

Contact HR Appointment Staff at (785) 864-5994
or by email at hrappt@ku.edu.

Health Insurance Deductions

Contact Staff Benefits at (785) 864-4946
or by email at benefits@ku.edu.

Retirement Deductions

Contact Staff Benefits at (785) 864-4946
or by email at benefits@ku.edu.
One of 34 U.S. public institutions in the prestigious Association of American Universities
44 nationally ranked graduate programs.
—U.S. News & World Report
Top 50 nationwide for size of library collection.
5th nationwide for service to veterans —"Best for Vets: Colleges," Military Times
KU Today