Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
You can change your tax withholdings for one paycheck. You will need to submit a W-4 and/or K-4 with the paycheck date for the new tax withholding status and another set of forms with the paycheck date to change your tax withholding status back. It is best to contact our office to ensure your forms are submitted in time for the paycheck calculation.
Log into your HR Pay account and follow the navigation to Home and Mailing Address to update.
If you are unable to update your address through HR Pay, please contact the Human Resources Appointment Staff at 785-864-5994.
*Changing your address in Enroll & Pay does not change your address with Human Resources.
You can update your direct deposit online or by filling out a new direct deposit form. See the Direct Deposit page for further instructions.
Please note: It is dependent upon the payroll cycle if your next paycheck will be deposited to the updated account. It is recommended to keep access to a previous account until you know if your next check will deposit to your new account. You may contact the Payroll Office by email, phone, or in person to confirm.
1. Log into your HR Pay account and navigate through the main menu to W-4 Tax Information where you can update.
2. Complete a W-4 form and submit to the Payroll Office.
*You only need to complete one of the above to update your federal withholdings.
1. Complete a K-4 form and submit it to the Payroll Office.
There is not online access to update state withholdings at this time.
The State of Kansas has partnered with US Bank to offer a payroll paycard service for employees who do not have a bank account. Paychecks are automatically deposited to the paycard, which is used as a debit card. For more information on obtaining this paycard please contact Human Resources Appointment Staff at 785-864-5994.
The KU Medical Center (KUMC) has multiple employers within the center.
KUMC State of Kansas / University employees can call 913-588-5100 or email email@example.com.
Health System / Hospital employees can call 913-945-5388 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
KUPI employees can call 913-588-2613.
If you are not sure who to contact, you can call the general KUMC number at 913-588-5000.
There are multiple situations that can cause your benefits to be double deducted from your paycheck. Please contact the Staff Benefits office at 785-864-7402 to confirm your situation.
FICA (Social Security and Medicare)
1. You worked more than 30 hours in one or both weeks of the pay period.
- This is a combined total of all positions.
- The hours worked in each week do not effect a week working over 30 hours.
- Example: You worked 35 hours in week 1 and 20 hours in week 2. You will be charged FICA since you worked over 30 hours in one of the weeks.
2. You were not enrolled in the minimum number of credit hours for FICA exemption.
- Typically this is half-time enrollment.
- The maximum hours rule still applies over breaks.
You can find more information on the Student Exception to FICA Tax on the IRS website.
Every employee is subject to withholding tax based on the W-4 (federal) and K-4 (state) forms you submitted. These can be updated at any time.
Common reasons pay is delayed:
- Time worked or leave time was not entered on the timesheet.
- Time was not approved by the supervisor on the timesheet.
- Direct deposit was not updated in a timely manner to be in effect for the next paycheck.
- Your appointment was not entered into the Human Resources system.
- We have not processed paychecks for the first pay period you began work.