Federal Withholding Tax Exemption
Federal Withholding Tax Exemption status expires on Dec 31, 2017.
If you are currently claiming exemption from federal withholding tax you must update your status for each calendar year per IRS regulations. To continue claiming exemption for 2018 you must either:
1. Complete a 2017 W-4 form with 2018 written at the top or dated for 2018 since the new form is not yet available and submit it to the Payroll Office; or
2. Update your W-4 information online via your HR Pay Employee Self-Service.
Instructions are given below to update your W-4 status.
Instructions to update your W-4 online to continue claiming exemption:
1. Log into your HR Pay Employee Self-Service
2. Follow the path to W-4 Tax Information:
3. Under Claim Exemption change the year to 2018 and check the box confirming you meet the conditions to claim exempt status. It must have the year 2018 entered to be valid. Please see the highlighted boxes.
4. Click Submit
Instructions to change your exemption status online:
Follow steps 1 and 2 above to find your W-4 page in HR Pay.
3. Enter the allowances you want to claim.
4. Indicate your marital status.
5. Uncheck the box that indicates you meet the exemption requirements.
6. Click submit.
Please contact the Payroll Office if you have any questions or need assistance.